Sunday, August 24, 2014

Letting go of school lunch

I love the song "Letting Go."  It needs to be my theme song.  I cling so tightly to so many rules.  Many of them are good for a season but I need to reevaluate from time to time.

I clung to healthy eating for my kids for a long time.  Looking back, their lunches for MDO really were a thing of beauty.  And even back then, I remember them complaining that the other kids had food that was more fun, namely powdered donuts, lunchables and hot dogs.  I tried the hot dogs for them, but it just didn't work out.  I'm oddly opposed to lunchables and I can't explain why.  When we go on an outing, I grab them because they're way cheaper than going to McDonald's. 

One of the most irritating things about my big boys starting school is that they became more aware of their power of choice.  They didn't have me or another adult telling them to eat their lunches.  They are relatively great eaters and I've been blessed by that, but somehow seeing daily the powdered donuts and hot dogs made them aware of how different my expectations were. 

We had a system last year:  after homework, I would ask each boy if they wanted school lunch according to the school menu.  If not, they would choose a protein, carb and fruit.  This worked pretty well until #2 decided he didn't like sandwiches at all.  Grr. 

It's tricky to buy enough food healthy food that they will actually eat.  And if they won't eat it, it's just a waste.  What's a mom to do?

Take a deep breath and let my high standards go.  Accept that this is a chance for them to gain some independence and a chance for me to work with them.  The end goal is to raise men who can make good choices when I'm not there.  Wish it was easier, but such is life.

No comments: