Saturday, September 6, 2014

Chickens, snakes & lawns

I checked this book out the other day.  It's a book about enjoying chicken raising.  Checking this book out falls under the category of "Things I do so I can better enjoy the agricultural life that chose me."

I thumbed through the first chapter and enjoyed it.  Today I'll skim through more of it and see if it tickles my fancy.  Not holding my breath, but at least I'm giving it the old college try.

This afternoon per my request, our Sunday School class is coming over for a fellowship.  Just a come and go time for the families to spend some time together.  Many have games, karate meets, etc that fill up Saturdays so I'm not even sure if anyone will come out, but the house had to be cleaned regardless.

The trick with Aaron working full time while also trying to get our farm off the ground is that his time is at a premium.  Seeds had to get planted today.  So, in an effort to support him, I volunteered to mow the lawn and clean the house, freeing him up to do what he needed to do at the farm. 

I'm not opposed to mowing the lawn, but our riding lawn mower has been converted into his tractor, so this meant doing our sizable lawn with the push mower.  Not the easiest, but I like exercise so I got to work.  I did a "good enough" job, knowing it will have to be done again before too long.  At least it's good enough that I won't be embarrassed if/when friends come over.

As I was mowing, a little snake slithered out of my path.  The prissy part of me wanted to go in and quit at that point, but I'm not strong enough to restart the mower if it turns off and I don't like having to call Aaron back to help, so I kept at it.  The snake was clearly more scared of me and the mower than I was of him.

One of my sons brought me water a few times as I kept truckin'.  I'm pretty proud of the job I did.

No comments: