Saturday, September 13, 2014

It's enough

Today I have quite a to do list.  A good portion of it was work related.  I finished what I needed to do and then I realized I hadn't done one last thing.  Before doing it, I asked myself if it needed to be done.  Nope.  So I chose not to do it. 

Freedom!

I even marked it off my to do list, choosing to leave it not done.  Let's take a moment and laugh that I had to cross it off even though I didn't do it because looking at it not crossed off was stressing me out.

I always fold laundry on Fridays.  I have for 7 years now.  Yesterday I chose not to because there was a MOPs meeting, a grocery run and lunch with #3 to help fill up his mommy tank which has gotten very low this week.  By the time we got home, it was almost time to pick up 1st graders from school.  I could have rushed around and attended to laundry, but instead of read over my MOPs stuff, chatted with a friend about the fantasticness of MOPs and put everything away while he watched a favorite show.  I knew there would be time today for laundry, and there is.

As I'm praying for wisdom about balancing work, family, home, relationships, etc I'm finding that if I overthink what all I'm doing right now I get overwhelmed.  However, if I just do the next task and take a deep breath, it's OK.

Granted, I couldn't keep up my current pace forever but it's OK for right now.  All 3 boys have their birthday party next weekend and there's added stress from that.  I don't love party planning, but I can choose if it stresses me out or not.

Tomorrow night at church, my boys are going to sing a song for the first time.  They don't really want to practice.  Part of me wants to crack the whip and tell them they have to because they really don't sound that great, but I'm choosing to not make a huge deal out of it.  They'll do their best and we'll focus on it being worship for the Lord.  Next time we'll work on making it a bit more polished.

No comments: